The 2020 Georgia Smart Communities Challenge is now open to applicants.
Read more about previous winning projects from the 2018 and 2019 Georgia Smart communities.
Challenge HighlightsGeorgia Smart is a competitive one year program that supports local governments of any size within the State of Georgia by providing grant funding and access to technical assistance, expert advice, and a network of peers. Successful applicants will leverage these resources to explore, study, and plan for the use, deployment, and/or integration of smart community technologies into their jurisdictions and operations.
Teams must partner with a Georgia Tech researcher who will assist and advise the team and conduct research in support of the community’s needs and goals. Research projects will be designed by the teams in coordination with the Georgia Tech researcher and may include such varied topics as policy development, creation of a technology roadmap, transportation analysis, the development of a prototype or pilot technology or app for public engagement, or any other relevant research topic.
Applicants are highly encouraged to participate in at least one informational event held by the Georgia Institute of Technology to become acquainted further with this opportunity. Applicants who wish to learn more should review the slides and recordings from our Informational Webinars that occurred on April 6th and April 28th which are available on our Media page.
- Interested communities should review the Georgia Smart Program Guide and check our Frequently Asked Questions page for details about the 2020 challenge.
- Georgia Smart will sponsor a cohort of between 2 and 4 teams this year from the state of Georgia, each executing on their own project plan.
- Grant funding has been increased to up to $100,000.
- Georgia Tech researcher funding has also been increased to up to $50,000.
- Applicants must partner with a Georgia Tech researcher. Access a list of GT researchers available to partner with your community. Add your profile to our list of GT research partners by emailing us at email@example.com.
- Applicants should use the Application Template to complete their application: View | Download
Challenge Key Dates
- Challenge Launch: March 17th, 2020
Informational Webinar (1st chance): April 6th, 2020 | 12pm-1pm
Optional Pre-proposals Due: April 24th, 2020
Informational Webinar (2nd chance): April 28th, 2020 | 12pm-1pm
- Applications Due: June 12th, 2020
- Winning Projects Announced: Summer, 2020
Additional Information for LCI with Georgia Smart
- Metro-Atlanta communities interested in LCI with Georiga Smart should also visit ARC's LCI website and review ARC's Contracting Guidance and Requirements.
- For more information on ARC's LCI opportunity, please see ARC’s LCI & CDAP Assistance Application Guidebook.
Apply for Georgia Smart
Ready to submit your Application to Georgia Smart? Apply Here
Applications are due before 5pm on June 12th, 2020