The 2021 Georgia Smart Communities Challenge is now open to applicants.
Read more about previous winning Georgia Smart communities.
Find out more by attending our Georgia Smart Informational Webinar, April 14th, 2021 from 12noon-1pm.
Challenge HighlightsGeorgia Smart is a competitive program that supports local governments of any size within the State of Georgia—cities, counties, and consolidated city-county governments—by providing access to technical assistance, expert advice, and a network of peers. Georgia Smart communities will receive access to a breadth of resources including a team of researchers, Georgia Smart program management, Smart Community Corps, and Georgia Smart partners. Alumni have successfully implemented their project and garnered additional funding and technical assistance to continue their project beyond the program period, continuing to service their residents and meet their community’s goals.
For this year’s cohort, Georgia Smart will select up to four communities for an enhanced two-year program centered on Community Connectivity. This is defined as optimizing access to broadband internet to facilitate integrating smart technologies and should include projects relating to Agricultural Technology (AgriTech), Healthcare, and Education & Workforce Development.
Georgia Smart projects will be comprised of four phases: Planning, Community Engagement, Technology Pilot, and Research. This will allow communities to plan for a project, submit for funding, execute implementation, and evaluate results, all with the help of Georgia Tech experts.
Participation in this cohort will be advantageous for communities planning to apply for the Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Georgia Broadband Deployment Initiative (GBDI), as Georgia Smart has partnered with officials at GBDI to provide expert advice to communities in the proposal process. Successful applicants will leverage GA Smart resources to write a funding proposal leading to the exploration, study, use, deployment, and integration of smart community technologies into their jurisdictions and operations.
Applicants are highly encouraged to participate in the informational webinar on April 14th, 2021 from 12- 1 pm held by the Georgia Institute of Technology to become acquainted further with this opportunity. Please register for this webinar using this link.
- Interested communities should review the Georgia Smart Request for Proposals and check our Frequently Asked Questions page for details about the 2021 challenge.
- Georgia Smart will form a cohort of up to 4 teams this year from the state of Georgia, each executing on their project plan.
- Check out our 1 page summary on this opportunity.
Challenge Key Dates
- Challenge Launch: April 5th, 2021
- Informational Webinar: April 14th, 2021 | 12pm-1pm
- Pre-application (Required) Due: May 3rd, 2021
- Final Application Due: June 1st, 2021
- Winning Projects Announced: July, 2021
- Georgia Smart is requiring Pre-applications this year in an effort to assist communities in their proposal development:
- Georgia Smart Final Application:
Contact and QuestionsPlease use the "Ask A Question" box on this page or e-mail InclusiveInnovation@gatech.edu with basic questions.
For in-depth questions or if you would like to meet with the Community Research Manager, please follow this link to schedule a meeting.